Quality, Consequences and the Construction Industrial Complex (part 246).
This is what you need to know, to avoid buying certified TAB and commissioning services in the Middle East then find out too late, the project cannot actually be certified.
International i.e. outside USA, owners, contractors and procurement departments that purchase certified TAB and Commissioning services need to understand the following NEBB rules.
- NEBB Quality Assurance Program is not available for projects outside the USA.
- NEBB National Performance Guaranty is not available for projects outside the USA.
- The NEBB BSC standard is ANSI Accredited. The individual NEBB certified person or firm is not ANSI Accredited.
- NEBB does not permit any sampling strategies on large distribution systems or controls point to point checks.
- NEBB does not permit verification of VAV boxes without calibrating them as well.
- NEBB does not permit uncertified branch offices certifying projects via a nonresident certified professional. The branch office must be certified and have a resident certified professional to certify projects.
- NEBB does not permit marketing using NEBB logos in markets with uncertified branch offices.
- NEBB does not permit certification of other firms work unless it is 100% retested. You cannot certify work by others at any time or in any way.
It is important the following is also understood:
- The Commissioning Specialist Association (CSA) in the UK DO NOT certify firms or individuals.
- BSRIA in the UK DO NOT certify firms or individuals for TAB or Commissioning. I saw a specification requiring this recently!
There are firms out there selling certified TAB and Commissioning services through branch offices when they cannot actually certify the projects (see above rule #6) and there is one major Middle Eastern commissioning firm that claims NEBB certification on their website and they are not currently (as of today’s date) certified.
The policing of these rules is not great. My recommendation to any client or procurement department is to verify the TAB & Cx firms head office plus branch office certification status via the NEBB website certification directory prior to awarding any orders. As with all things in life, Caveat Emptor applies.
BTW: All above 8 points were confirmed to me by NEBB head office.
Related Posts & Links
Edifice Complex Podcast
#Cx #nomad #Cxnomad #RICS #property #edificecomplexpodcast
#ProjectManagement #makingbuildingswork #podcast #CxM #NEBB